Friday 14 February 2014

Mushroom San Choy Bau

1 large serve!
Unlike some families, san choy bau wasn't a dish that was on rotation in our household. I've probably only ever had it once or twice in my life. As it seemed like a nice summery dish and I could eat it with my hands, I thought it was worth a shot.

I couldn't quite find a recipe that suited my liking so I modified a few and this is what I came up with.

Mushroom San Choy Bau
Serves 2 hungry people 

1 tbsp peanut oil
20g dried sliced shittake, rehydrated and diced
20g dried black fungus, rehydrated and diced
8 medium button mushrooms, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
5cm knob ginger, grated
100g water chestnuts, diced
3 tbsp chopped peanuts
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp oyster sauce (or vegetarian mushroom sauce)
1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
2 spring onions, white and green parts sliced
1/4 cup coriander leaves, chopped
1 lime, juiced
6 iceberg lettuce leaves

Method

In a wok, heat peanut oil then add mushrooms, garlic, ginger and the white part of the spring onions. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until mushrooms are soft. Add water chestnuts, peanuts and sauces and cook for 1 minute until most of the moisture has evaporated.

Remove from heat and stir through coriander, green part of spring onions and lime juice.

Spoon mixture into lettuce leaves and enjoy with your hands!

Sarah xx