Sunday 16 March 2014

Buckini Crumbed Fish with Kale Fritters

Buckini and macadamia crumbed flathead with kale fritters

I am slightly addicted to buckinis at the moment. Buckinis are activated buckwheat kernals ie buckwheat that has been dehydrated causing it to have a delicious crunchy texture and nutty taste. Despite its name, buckwheat is gluten free. The most common use for these little nuggets is in sweet dishes for example in muesli or crumbles, however I decided to go savoury this time.




This was a very simple and easy dinner to prepare, taking only 30 minutes from start to finish.
I used a flathead fillet (115g) which I chopped into fingers, which were then dredged in some seasoned cornflour, dunked in an egg wash then crumbed in a mixture of 1/3 cup buckinis, 1/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts and 2 tablespoon diced parsley. The fish was then panfried in coconut oil for added flavour and served with delicious kale fritters.




Delicious light kale fritters

The kale fritter recipe is from this hungry kitten's blog and it is a recipe that I highly recommend. These fritters are lighter than pancakes and incredibly moorish. More surprisingly - I followed the recipe precisely! I think even the kale haters out there would love this fritters as they do not have the flavour or texture of kale and are lightly spiced with ginger, garlic, cayenne and cumin.

This was a delicious meal and one that I will definitely make again.

Sarah xx



Light and green!