Sunday 10 February 2013

Pancake Macarons (and more)

Pancake and Maple Syrup Macarons
I love making macarons. They are so versatile and fun to make, not to mention delicious! I bought a couple of silpats so decided to give them a test run.

Tuesday is Shrove Tuesday (Pancake Day) which is something I don't usually celebrate although it seems the supermarkets this year have found another reason to con us into thinking we do!

When I visited Zumbo last year I ate his pancake and maple syrup macaron and although it wasn't my favourite (too sweet!) I decided to make it anyway as the recipe is in his Zumbaron book.




I must say, Zumbo's pancake recipe was fabulous - so light and fluffy! The filling for these macarons are a pancake soaked in maple syrup, blended, then folded through white chocolate ganache. The verdict - tastes just like the real thing! Pity they are such a boring colour!

Lemon curd with raspberry jelly centre
The second macaron I made was even better - lemon curd with raspberry jelly centre. This came about when I couldn't decide whether to make raspberry or lemon macarons so I combined the two. I made my usual lemon buttercream using a jar of homemade lemon curd then combined this with raspberry jelly, the recipe I used was from the raspberry marshmallow recipe.

Hopefully my workmates enjoy these tomorrow! ( yes I know I'm a day early for the pancakes)

Sarah xx


You can find the macaron recipe I use here.

Lemon Buttercream

250ml lemon curd
100g butter, softened
1 cup icing sugar

Beat butter and icing sugar until soft and creamy. Fold through lemon curd. Depending on the consistency of your lemon curd you may need to add more icing sugar to thicken.

Soft Raspberry Jelly

150g raspberry puree
50g sugar syrup
3g gold leaf gelatine, hydrated and drained

Warm the puree and syrup together until incorporated. Add the gelatine and stir until combined. Pour into a 20cm round cake tin and leave to set.

Maple Syrup Pancake Ganache (adapted from Zumbarons by Adriano Zumbo)

Pancake (a really good fluffy pancake!)
30g plain flour
10g caster sugar
0.25g baking powder
40g milk
1 egg, separated

80g maple syrup
120g cream
200g white chocolate

To make the pancake, put the dry ingredients in a bowl, stir together the wet ingredients except for the egg white and whisk into the dry ingredients. Whip the egg white until firm peaks then fold through the pancake batter. Heat a small frypan on medium and add a knob of butter. Pour the batter onto the pan and cook until bubbles form on the surface. Flip over and continue to cook until cooked through. Remove from pan and place into a bowl (break it up if you need) then pour over the maple syrup. Leave to stand for 1 hour.

Place the pancake in a food processor, thermomix or use a stick blender to puree the pancake to a smooth paste.

Heat the cream until scalding (use the microwave - it's much easier!) then pour over the white chocolate. Leave to sit for one minute then stir until all the chocolate is melted. Fold through the pureed pancake and voila, pancake ganache!