Sunday 20 January 2013

Hunny Pot Cake

I think i'm improving! This cake only took me a day from start to finish and was 100% stress free.

Inside is a honey and coconut cake which was really nice. I was going to do a basic vanilla cake but at the last minute changed as I thought it would be more appropriate!

The construction of the cake was really quite simple. I baked 3 x 20cm round cakes and stacked them on top of each other with a layer of apricot jam in between the layers.

I bevelled the top and bottom to make rounded then coated the entire thing in decorator's buttercream.
After coating in a thin layer of blue fondant, I rolled a thick sausage and put on the top as the rim. Then using fondant coloured golden yellow, I draped over the 'honey.'

The rest is fairly self explanatory. I came up with a pretty good way of putting wings on the bees - a pencil lodged in a muesli bar box!



I'm not sure where I got the honey coconut cake recipe from - I think it is a CWA recipe. Either way it was a great, sturdy cake, not too dense and full of flavour.

So another cake done and for once I made the perfect amount!

Bring on the next cake!

Sarah xx


Honey Coconut Cake (make 3 times)

1/2 cup coconut
125g butter
3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 eggs
2 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup milk

Line  or a 20cm round tin
Preheat the oven to 170 degrees fan forced.

In a small frypan, stir the coconut continuously until golden brown. Remove and set aside to cool.
Cream butter, sugar and honey until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time until well incorporated.
Stir in the coconut, then half the flour and half the milk. Stir in remaining flour and milk.
Spread into prepared tin and bake for 40-45mins until golden brown.
Turn onto wire rack to cool.

Decorator's Buttercream - Toba Garrett


Source: The Well Decorated Cake. Makes 2.3L

I halved this recipe and I still have some left over which is now in the freezer.

Ingredients:
2 cups (454 gr) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup (230 gr) vegetable shortening or hi-ratio shortening (Crisco)
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice or
1 1/2 tsp lemon extract, vanilla extract or almond extract
1.36 kg Icing sugar
135 ml water, milk, or clear liqueur
3 tbsp meringue powder
1 tsp salt

1. Cream shortening & butter until well incorporated and smooth. Add flavouring and salt then gradually add sugar, one cup at a time. 

2 Add meringue powder and continue to beat ( The mixture will appear dry.)
3. Add liquid of choice and beat until light and fluffy ( approximately 5 to 8 minutes). The mixture should be silky smooth.


If not using immediately keep the bowl covered with cling wrap.

Store the icing in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.